The moment I got engaged, I immediately started thinking about my bridal party. It scared me and excited me at the same time. I wanted to make good choices. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I have a ton of absolutely amazing friends that mean the world to me, but I couldn’t pick all of them. I definitely had in mind the qualities I wanted my bridesmaids to have and this helped make a few girls stand out in my mind.
This is the most important day of my life. It will be a day I would never forget and the biggest party of my life. There is so much planning to do and so many things that could go wrong. I needed to choose a group of girls that would remain levelheaded, be my cheerleaders, smile throughout (even if their feet hurt) and stand beside me as I become a Mrs.
Picking your bridesmaids can be a really touchy area and can cause major stress on your part and hurt feelings for others. However, no matter what you need to make sure you do what is ultimately best for you. You can’t please everyone, and your true friends will understand.
For me, there were a few factors to consider:
1. Reliability – You want to make sure you choose girls you can rely on. The ones that never let you down, and always have your back. For me, it was looking at who was there for me when times got tough, who was always there on time and never cancelled plans, and who remembered special events in my life. You don’t want to worry that your bridesmaids will be late the day of the wedding, or make constant excuses.
2. Availability – You obviously need to make sure the girls you choose will be available that day. Make sure they aren’t going on any trips, are in school or have other commitments or constraints that would prevent them from being in your wedding.
3. Resourcefulness – Your zipper breaks the day of the wedding. You forget your lipstick on the counter at home. The florist calls and says they will be late. These are all things that a group of resourceful women would laugh at. They would have it all under control, while you are still in panic mode.
4. Positivity – Weddings and stress are synonymous. You want girls that are constantly positive (well, not to the point of being disgustingly peppy) and that will keep you smiling even when you’re super stressed out. A positive person makes it hard to get stressed out and helps you see all the good among the stress.
5. Outgoing – Your bridesmaids are going to be introduced to a lot of people the day of your wedding. From hair stylists, to makeup artists, to the other bridesmaids, the groomsman and all the wedding guests. They are going to be in hundreds of photographs and some may even have to make speeches. It is important that they are friendly and comfortable meeting new people. You also want girls that aren’t afraid to have an opinion. For me, it is important that my bridesmaids take a front seat role in this wedding. I want to know what they like, what they hate and what they would do if they were me. It’s not just my day, I chose them because I value their opinions and I want them to be as much a part of this day as my fiance and I are.
6. Trust Your Gut – In the end, your gut will tell you a lot. I know trusting my instincts have never led me in the wrong direction. Thinking about my wedding party, my gut instantly told me who I should pick as bridesmaids, and in the end it was the same girls I chose after giving it more in depth thought.
I am lucky to have such a solid group of bridesmaids. These are the girls that have wiped my tears, made me laugh until I was in tears and girls I truly cannot make it through my wedding day without. My bridesmaids inspire me, are beautiful inside and out and women I consider my sisters.